Wednesday 7 November 2012

The week in pictures

When the weather gets it right it's breathtaking. Achmelvich beach at the weekend. Deserted, and bathed in late autumn sunshine. The only sound was the sea as the waves fell and slapped against the sand.
On our recent dam walk I picked up an old and weathered tree root. It makes the perfect plant stand! Both the plant (rosary vine, I think) and the wood seem made for each other. The tree root is very old and was buried in peat that had been washed away by the rising water levels when the dam was built. 
The weather isn't good all of the time. It's easy to paint a rosy picture of life here, and of course I can choose what to show on my blog! We do have rain too, long soggy days when it doesn't stop. The other evening we were without electricity. Tree felling in the lane managed to bring down an overhead wire. Thank goodness for Ikea t lights and wood burning stoves.  It's almost possible to read ones kindle by candlelight - but not quite! 
Did anyone watch the BBC's Autumn Watch programme last week on television? It was broadcast from the Aigas Field Centre, roughly forty five miles south of here. Lucille asked if I'd seen any beavers? The Aigas Field Centre is doing a study of them and have a family living on their loch. No, I haven't,  but I understand they can be found here. and it appears to be somewhat controversial!
I really appreciate your comments regarding my often hit and miss photos! I have finally switched the camera to  manual setting, which means lots of faffing as I try to work out what I'm doing rather than leaving it to the camera! But I love it and sometimes think it's a bit of an obsession! I also love some of the art settings on the camera, but try not to over use them.

12 comments:

ADRIAN said...

Superb landscapes.
Manual shouldn't be hard. Set to A (aperture). For sharpness front to back use a small aperture f16/f22. for a blurry background use a large aperture f2.8/f4. focus manually on the bit you want sharp. This may require a tripod at ISO 400 or less.
You will have to check your own camera for noise at High ISO levels. Look in shadow areas for noise at 100%. Have fun.

Floridagirl said...

The pictures are gorgeous. I especially like the first one and the fern picture. Do you have an extra bedroom? I'm moving in.

Dan said...

Hi Annie - your living room looks so cosy. Just as well with the snow on those mountain tops. I love your plant stand - and the plant!!
Dan
-x-

Linda said...

The beautiful russet colours - I was so bowled over by them when I was in Torridon for the first time last October.

old_black said...

Annie, I always have trouble identifying my favourite when you post a batch of photos. Today is no exception, but I have finally settled on the rainbow. Maybe I'm over-interpreting, but it seems to tell quite a story! (and I suspect it was technically difficult to achieve)

love those cupcakes said...

Your pictures are stunning. Love those autumnal colours.

Molton Hearts said...

Absolutely lovely photos, you are very talented !. we have booked for scotland next april, not as far up as you tho, staying in stirling, perhaps further next time !

vicki :)

Anonymous said...

What breathtaking photographs. You are so talented, Annie!

I'm curious to know - is your husband holding a wee torch to see his Kindle? Or drinking from an illuminated glass? Or...?

Lucille said...

Your house looks very cosy by candlelight but it does make me marvel at the fine work that people managed in the olden days without electricity.

Down by the sea said...

Hi Annie,
I have just found your lovely blog and become your latest follower.
We had a holiday in the Highlands in June and visited Achmelvich beach. It was so beautiful, looking at your blog brings back those wonderful holiday memories.
Sarah x

kristieinbc said...

What gorgeous pictures! I just found your blog through the Down By the Sea blog. I have to admit I am quite jealous of your life in Scotland. My dream is to be able to live there part of the year. I was in Perthshire last fall and did the Cateran Trail. I loved, loved, loved it. I'm looking forward to reading about your life in Scotland!

S. Etole said...

Your photos always leave me just a bit breathless. So much beauty that you share.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...