Monday 26 July 2010

Attention to detail

We went to this ceramics exhibition here in Ullapool recently
'Keeping the Burners Lit'
People ask what on earth there is to do here, so far away from the
real world! In truth you need never be bored.  The Ullapool News is crammed
with events, places to go, walks, talks, courses, exhibitions, concerts, markets, not forgetting sheep dog trials and the like!
I loved this piece of sculpture! I appreciate it won't be everyone's cup of tea, and
I can't say what it is I love about it. It's just so very tactile.
This chap Nickolai Globe and his mum Lotte Glob (they spell their surname
differently)  have studios in the highlands of Scotland  (Lotte Glob's house is a work of art too), And both rely heavily on the
surrounding landscape for their inspiration
You see I think Nickolai has walked along the beach
and been inspired
if you see what I mean
And his mum, Lotte, makes, amongst other things the most fabulous bowels, huge dishes and plates, that sparkle with light and colour full of intricate detail
And this is on the beach at the bottom of the garden, lying at our feet. Nature
has done her own thing throwing up light and colour in such tiny detail. It's quite beautiful.
We went to the east coast at the weekend.
That was where the sun was going to be? We
didn't find it, instead I found any number of patterns and shapes in the
sand.
There were other people looking for the sun too. 
Actually it wasn't nearly as gloomy as this. I took the photo into
the sun light which made it dark!
I love the great big views
and impressive landscapes to be found here,
but I'm also aware of the enormous attention to detail
and perfection found within the landscape. I'm learning
to open my eyes!

2 comments:

http://jackieinsurrey.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

That is a lovely post Ann of your local craftsmen and women.Did you buy anything ? I think as I get older (60 next week) I am looking more around me at what nature provides!
We are going to Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly in September and I am looking forward to seeing the local arts and crafts there.

Love Jackie.
http://jackieinsurrey.blogspot.com/

S. Etole said...

There's art in every photo ... what an intriguing sculpture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...