Tuesday 31 July 2012

Annie's Garden

No, this isn't my garden, I wish it was. It belongs to Annie's family and is I think the prettiest garden on the lochside.
A  cottage garden full of colour and perfume. 
I don't know the name of this. Can somebody please tell me what it is? The noise coming from it was  deafening. A loud buzzing  noise.
It was covered in bees. There must have been hundreds of them. It reminded me of a buddleia bush, but the flowers were smaller, and it had  perfume that was familiar but I couldn't place.
I was in Annie's garden today because I'd been invited to help myself to some of the fruit
So now we'll have black currant jam, and tomorrow if the birds have left any I may pick some raspberries and red currants.
Thank you for the kind and encouraging comments left on my last post. Several of you remarked on the picture I did. No, I'm not a trained artist.  I did fashion drawing a hundred years ago at college. But  never  really used it. Occasionally I go on a drawing course, but mainly just fiddle about with a pen and  sketchbook, and often don't even do that! I think about drawing though!.  I joined  the Art Centre in Ullapool earlier this year, and was  very excited when a little piece of plywood came through the letterbox with an invitation for me to paint a picture. I really enjoyed painting it and for a day actually felt like a proper Artist!  And I have thought about painting some more - I'll just finish making the jam first!

8 comments:

S. Etole said...

What a perfect little piece of paradise.

A Garden of Threads said...

What a beautiful garden. The jam will be so welcome in the winter. Have a wonderful evening.

ADRIAN said...

It has to be budleia. A favourite of butterflies.

annie hoff said...

Hi Adrian, I'm not sure, the leaves are different to a Budleia. I've done a little research and think it might be Hebe stenophylla. It's true there was one butterfly sitting on it, but what impressed me most were the vast number of bees covering it

Mac n' Janet said...

You have such a good eye, that's why your photos are so good, and it would make you a good artist too, Painting is vision.

Anonymous said...

My first thought was that it was a hebe, so perhaps someone else can identify it properly. What a lovely garden, so far north too. Glad you are back blogging Annie.
Love you Brenda from Guildford

annie hoff said...

I think you're right Brenda. I think it's a hebe too. I'm going to try and take a cutting. I think it's quite hardy and will tolerate the wind and rain!

Ian Leitch said...

Anne Hoffman I love your blog !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...