Sunday 15 September 2013

A Glimpse of Lewis

Goodbye Ullapool
Hello Stornoway
Lewis, a land of peat, moor, bog and large puddles. The distant mountains of Harris can just be seen
Black Houses at Gearrannan
On a rather overcast and chilly morning  Mary and I went to the isle Lewis for the day. We went on a combined ferry and coach trip to see some places of historic interest on Lewis. It was blustery and grey as we sailed out of Ullapool across the North Minch. But the weather didn't deter our enjoyment. I've only ever been  to Lewis once before and never further than its capital, Stornoway. It was a really interesting and enjoyable day. The best bit was perhaps the visit to the black houses at Gearrannan,  facing towards the Atlantic, life here must have been tough - even if the views were good! Harris is noted for its tweed but Lewis also had its share of weaving looms. The one here is a Hattersley loom and the weaver is Roddy who patiently answered our questions and explained how the hands free flying shuttle mechanism worked. As we made our way back to the coach we could smell the smoke from the peat fire. Peat has  a wonderful pungent almost sweet smell as it burns.
This day trip whetted my appetite to return to the Western Isles.

10 comments:

Linda said...

How funny to see that stone hot water bottle preserved as a museum item! My grandparents in Buckie had those bottles - called a 'pig'. I wonder what became of them in our house. I fear my dad threw them out when he was clearing out after my mum died.

annie hoff said...

Linda I think all the furnishings and contents of this black house belonged to the old lady who lived there up until the 1950's. She was rehoused but agreed that the contents could be left as they were for a museum.

S. Etole said...

Such incredible views. The standing stones are especially fascinating.

ADRIAN said...

You did well fitting all this into one day. A really busy Twelve hours or so.

ju-north said...

Stunning views and such interesting places! We are hoping to go next year so will 'bookmark' your photos to remind us where to go!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos - another place to put on my must-visit list!! I remember having a stone hot water bottle in the bed when I was little!

Anonymous said...

Stunning photos of interesting places. We still have a stone "pig". It props open our lounge door and is always commented upon.
The Thains

Lucille said...

I only once tried to light a peat fire in Ireland - it wouldn't burn but smoked the room out! I'm a fan of standing stones but hadn't seen these before.

rachel said...

Oh, how I wish I could have come with you! What a wonderful visit....

annie hoff said...

Rachel, it would have been lovely if you could have come too.

Lucille, sorry to hear about your 'unlit' peat fire. They really do give off a wonderful smell when lit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...