Monday 18 May 2015

Have we missed Spring...?

I have been neglectful of my blog. There are reasons and none of them important! I wonder if spring has arrived  yet? We have some lovely days that are warm and sunny then not so lovely days when it is cold and even snowing in the hills. Everything is slow to get growing. Everyone says that spring has been late in coming this year. I think we may have missed it altogether.
We are building a sort of drystone wall. More of that later, in the meantime I'm still unearthing items that have been buried in the garden over the years. An old iron, still with its wooden handle until I prized it out from under a pile of rubble where it simply disintegrated. I've joined an on-line drawing group. I have to draw something everyday in May....I can't wait for June!  There is a list to download telling me what to draw next. I'm finding it completely stressful and absorbing at the same time. Cleaning and cooking and shopping and blogging,  has become secondary while I rise to meet the drawing challenge!
Last week we went to visit Castle of Mey in Caithness. It was well worth it. Summer residence for the late Queen Mother. I couldn't take photos inside the castle, you must come and visit yourselves. On the way up we stopped at John O'Groats. I don't have the skill to make John O'Groats look attractive. It's a little like Lands End, rather bleak.  Starting and finishing points where everybody wants to go but nobody  wants to stay. 
After the castle our drive home was wonderful. This video (if it works) gives you a glimpse of the road we drove on. Truly a stunningly beautiful and remote landscape. For me there is nowhere lovelier than here....



3 comments:

ju-north said...

What a great video! Recognized quite a few of the places. Your rusty treasures are exactly that! at least in the world of still life they are!

Anonymous said...

Wow a drawing a day - I am very impressed. I've always wanted to see the garden at the Castle of Mey. Perhaps someday!

rachel said...

You always have something interesting to do and see, don't you! The video made me long to return to the Highlands; so beautiful....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...