Sunday 24 October 2010

The colours of autumn

The snow is still here, but only on the high tops. Meanwhile the landscape continues to look more autumnal by the day. I used to think it was the bracken turning golden that gave the hills their  autumn coating  of russets, ochres, deep oranges and browns, which indeed  it does,
but the tips of the grasses take on a fiery tinge too adding to the saturation of colour
The ginger look starts in September and continues through the winter. On an afternoon such as  we've had today  it gives a  wonderfully warm glow to the surrounding hills.
Meanwhile, on a footnote. Old fatso in the garden has got to make way for a copper beech hedge we're hoping to plant before the start of winter - at least, that's the plan!
Don't be silly, of course she doesn't look appealing - she's only a sheep for goodness sake, with a slightly trembling lower lip!

4 comments:

S. Etole said...

what a grand sheep and views ...

rachel said...

It just won't be the same without the garden sheep...... maybe you could fence off a little bit, just for her?

Lucille said...

I never thought I'd say this, but I've rather fallen for that sheep. Real personality there.

Lynne said...

Lovely photos. Thanks for calling over at mine. I didn't linger the other day here as I had already been on the computer a long time and needed to get on with other things. So I'm calling back now for a longer look as it seems you live in a lovely part of the world, which I will enjoy visiting. I once went camping and walking up near Ullapool. A very long time ago!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...